Heather White, Executive Director of the Environmental Working Group, explains why our lotions, makeup, and shampoos are loaded with dangerous chemicals, why babies are born with hundreds of toxins in their blood, and what you can do to make your immediate environment — and the world — a little bit safer.
Here is some of her organization's daunting research results that should make you think twice about how you choose to care for your body (and your baby):
- The average woman is exposed to 168 chemicals used in personal care products every day
- The average man is exposed to 85 chemicals from personal care products each day
- 34% of chemicals in these products are listed as possible carcinogens, causes of cancer
- 45% of the chemicals were associated with reproductive and developmental toxicity
- 60% had chemicals that are known endocrine disruptors